Westmoreland Sanctuary is surrounded by wooded countryside and suburban areas, Westmoreland’s 640 acres offer a variety of activities for all our visitors.
Westmoreland Sanctuary was established in 1957 as a not-for-profit nature center and wildlife preserve with the mission to “acquire, establish and maintain for the free use, enjoyment and appreciation of the public. . . tracts of land, including woodland and streams, as a nature sanctuary . . . to promote nature appreciation, preservation and conservation generally, for the present and future benefit and enjoyment of the public.” Westmoreland also offers a variety of environmental education, conservation and recreational programs and events serving nearly 15,000 visitors every year. Through these facilities and programs Westmoreland encourages a deeper understanding and engagement with nature and our environment.
A reconstructed 200-year old church serves as Westmoreland’s Sanctuary’s Nature center and Museum. The former Presbyterian Church from Bedford Village was saved from demolition, taken down piece by piece, and rebuilt in the sanctuary in 1973. It contains exhibits of local flora and fauna, live animals, a bird observation window and an auditorium for public programs.
All donations are welcomed and greatly appreciated!